Trainee Counsellor (volunteer opportunity)
Start date: Not applicable. Successful applicants will start their placement once the school’s safer recruitment checks have been completed.
Hours of work: 1 day per week with a minimum of 4 clinical hours per week plus fortnightly supervision, Term Time Only
Length of placement: Dependent on individual course requirements but not exceeding one year.
We are offering placements at the Dunraven Secondary Phase to Counselling or Psychotherapy students who require practical counselling experience with 11-18 year-old students to supplement their studies.
The number of clinical hours will be dependent on trainees’ availability, however we would advise a minimum of 4 hours per week so this can be beneficial to your studies and our students.
The successful applicants will be working with secondary school aged students and demonstrate an ability to deal with confidential matters in a supportive and therapeutic manner, the primary focus being the well-being of our students. The school’s aim is “Excellence for All” and the trustees wish to offer such placements to candidates of significant ability and enthusiasm, aware of and stimulated by the challenges and potential of a successful multi-ethnic coeducational school.
DUNRAVEN SCHOOL OVERVIEW
Dunraven School’s results are strong, remaining well above national averages and representing positive ‘value-added’. Recognition of its marked progress has been significant and its journey as a school is important to us. For example:
• In February 2011 we were designated as both a National Support School and a Leading Edge School.
• In August 2011, we converted to Academy status.
• In 2012 we began our development as an All Through School with children starting in Reception in September 2013.
• In summer 2013 our £20 million BSF programme was completed.
• In October 2014 we were judged as outstanding in all areas, including both Early Years and the Sixth Form, by Ofsted.
• In 2016 we were designated as a National Teaching School and an Academy Sponsor. The Dunraven Educational Trust was established.
• In September 2018, our Multi Academy Trust was formally set up with the integration of Van Gogh Primary, followed by Goldfinch Primary school in January 2019.
All schools within the Dunraven Educational Trust are committed to the safety and protection of their students. An enhanced DBS check and a barred list check are required prior the start date of this volunteer placement.
Closing deadline: 30 September in the first instance, however suitable candidates are welcome to apply throughout the year
Dunraven School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.