Background to the Post
One of our core values at WCG is student success. This means we believe in putting the needs of our young people first. Students with Education Health and Care Plans are placed at college in consultation with their Local Authority, and on application potential students are asked to share with us any additional learning needs. This cohort of EHCP and SEN young people are then offered support from the inclusion team
As Key members of the inclusion team it is the role of the Learning Mentor is to ensure that all our students with SEND reach their potential. The main purpose of this post is to support Work Based Learners within their learning programmes
The Learning Mentor’s time will be spent with identified learners in or out of the classroom the Classroom
There will be a requirement for the Learning Mentor to undertake administrative tasks relating to recording student progress and supporting student retention and achievement.
Why Work With Us?
Imagine working for an employer that has a positive impact on the lives of thousands of students every year. That could be you.
We offer careers in teaching, educational support and pastoral care and brilliant opportunities within our professional Corporate and Commercial Services departments. The opportunities here are almost endless and can be full time, term time only, part time.
We are one of the largest higher and further education colleges in the country with just under 15,000 students and around 1,300 staff. That’s a lot of people and people are our key to success.
WCG has a comprehensive staff training program, offering leadership training for those wanting to progress and an employee health and wellbeing programme to support our staff when they need it most.
Place of work: Warwick Trident College
Our Warwick Trident College provides state-of-the-art engineering workshops and laboratories! Working in partnership with companies such as Jaguar Land Rover, Warwick Trident College provides first class advanced machining and robotic facilities.
Warwick Trident College is located just a few miles from Royal Leamington Spa College and is accessible by trains to Warwick Parkway or Leamington Spa rail stations, followed by a short bus or taxi journey.
The post holder may be required to work on either a temporary or an indefinite basis at any premises at which we may provide services.
- GCSE Grade C or above in English and Mathematics, or Level 2 equivalent qualification.
- A qualification relevant to working with Young People with SEND or a willingness to work towards such a qualification
- Working knowledge of information technology such as e-mail, the internet and other software applications, including assistive technologies.
- Previous experience of supporting young people with a learning difficulty and/or disability.
- An understanding of Educational Health and Care Plans.
- Previous experience of working in Further Education.
- Previous experience of managing students with behaviours for concern.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- The ability to effectively manage students with challenging behaviours.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to motivate students to reach targets set.
- Commitment to a high level of student achievement and to continuous quality improvement.
- Supportive, positive and non-judgemental attitude.
- Awareness of health and safety procedures or willingness to undertake training.
- Good administrative and record keeping skills.
- Be flexible and very responsive in approach to teaching styles and methods.
- Be able to respond effectively to the student’s individual needs.
- Work to deadlines set.
- Commitment to equality and diversity and knowledge of Disability Discrimination and Equality Act.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of Equality and Diversity.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
- Ability to demonstrate behaviours which support the Core Values of the College
For a full job description including duties and responsibilities of the role, please see the job description attached below.
Warwickshire College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.