Head of Geography
Responsible to: Assistant or Deputy Headteacher
Pay scale: ILPS + TLR 2b
Work pattern: Full-time
Required for: September or October 2022
Deadline to apply: Midday: Tuesday 24 May 2022
Location of post: The Elmgreen School, SE27 9BZ
Thank you for your enquiry about the key post of Head of Geography at The Elmgreen School. The purpose of this role is to provide professional leadership and management for Geography, ensuring high quality teaching and learning, achievement and engagement of students in line with our vision and ethos.
The Elmgreen School became part of the Dunraven Educational Trust in September 2021, and together we are focused on developing an exciting, dynamic and progressive community, focused on improving the outcomes for children and their families.
Responsible for the departmental staff team
Strategic Direction and Planning of Geography
● To provide professional leadership for the department
● Develop and implement policies and practices which reflect the school’s commitment to high achievement and effective teaching and learning
● Lead the development of appropriate syllabuses, assessment and teaching and learning strategies for the development and resourcing of Geography
● Promote teamwork, creating a climate which enables other staff to develop
● Establish a clear, shared understanding of the importance and role of Geography in preparing students for the opportunities and responsibilities of adult life
● Use data effectively in Geography and implement effective strategies to monitor and support student progress
● Monitor the progress made in achieving Geography plans and targets, evaluate the effects on teaching and learning, and use this analysis to guide further improvement
● Lead curriculum development for the department in line with national initiatives and supporting the aims of the school
Dunraven Educational Trust Overview
Dunraven Educational Trust (DET) was established in 2016. It now incorporates Dunraven’s All-Through School, Goldfinch Primary, The Elmgreen School, Rosendale Primary School and Van Gogh Primary. DET is a Trust committed to one overarching aim: excellence for and from everyone. This is an expectation for both the children and adults in a school community. It is achieved in a variety of ways according to the context of each school but within the clear framework established by the Trust.
If you are successful in your application, you will join a staff who are hard-working, committed, positive in outlook and dedicated to the achievement of our students. We offer:
● a high standard of professional practice, with bespoke in-house CPD provision, and affiliation to nationally recognised courses and providers;
● a supportive and collegiate environment,
● a culture of high trust and accountability that values creativity and innovation, leading practice locally and nationally in a range of fields.
The Elmgreen School is committed to the safety and protection of its students. An enhanced DBS check and a barred list check are conditions of employment for this post.
The Elmgreen School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.