Background to the Post
As one of the largest further and higher education colleges in the UK, with unique colleges
across two counties, we aim to deliver learning experiences which lead to the development
of wider skill bases and improved destinations for all of our students.
Our Ofsted inspection highlights our success and strong focus both on students and on meeting industry needs. We are also one of only five colleges in the UK to be granted Foundation Degree Awarding Powers by the Privy Council – meaning our higher education academic quality and standards are equal to any university.
The post holder’s primary objective is to enable a group(s) of farriery apprentices to develop learning in the specified subject and to support the aims of the curriculum programme of study. You will be required to support in the workplace a wide range of Farriery skills, focusing on all aspects of Farriery, to include Anatomy and Physiology, Shoeing, Handling of horses, and Shoe Making to the standard required for the WCF Diploma examination and EPA organisation.
Why Work With Us?
Imagine working for an employer that has a positive impact on the lives of thousands of students every year. That could be you.
We offer careers in teaching, educational support and pastoral care and brilliant opportunities within our professional Corporate and Commercial Services departments. The opportunities here are almost endless and can be full time, term time only, part time.
We are one of the largest higher and further education colleges in the country with just under 15,000 students and around 1,300 staff. That’s a lot of people and people are our key to success.
WCG has a comprehensive staff training program, offering leadership training for those wanting to progress and an employee health and wellbeing programme to support our staff when they need it most.
Place of Work: Moreton Morrell College
Our Moreton Morrell campus offers a centre dedicated to veterinary nursing, as well as a large animal welfare centre. There is also a Construction facility with an open workshop area for brickwork, carpentry and multi-skilling. The working farm on site attracts members of the public to our lambing event that takes place every year.
Intercampus transport is provided with good links to and from Royal Leamington Spa College
- GCSE Grade C or above in English and Mathematics, or Level 2 equivalent qualification.
- A recognised teaching qualification or a willing to attain this within 3 years of starting in post. (Please see Appendix 1).
- A recognised Farriery qualification- min WCF Diploma
- Working knowledge of information technology such as e-mail, the internet and other software applications.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience working in a Farriery environment and delivering mentoring and support to apprentices.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Previous experience within a field relevant to the subject area.
- Demonstrable experience of mentoring and supporting farriery apprentices to a high standard evidenced by excellent success rates.
- Availability to travel between sites (if required for the role).
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- The ability to progress and assess learners and deliver high retention and achievement rates.
- Flexible, intuitive and enthusiastic approach including the development of employability skills.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of Equality and Diversity.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
- Ability to demonstrate behaviours which support the Core Values of the College.
For a full job description including duties and responsibilities of the role, please see the job description attached below.
Warwickshire College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.