Background to the post
WCG is a large FE/HE multi-site College offering courses at seven campuses across Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Several of the Colleges has its own library dedicated to supporting the learning needs of its users. The library is part of the Student Services Directorate which also includes the Careers Team, Welfare Team, Residential Services and the Reception Team.
Working within a team providing services to a diverse community, you will need to be flexible, enthusiastic and adaptable in an ever-changing but exciting environment. You will be in regular contact with staff, so effective communication, good customer care and interpersonal skills are essential requirements, as is a good level of computer literacy.
You will come to us with significant experience in managing library systems and knowledge of Infor’s VSmart would be an advantage. Known for your accuracy and attention to detail, you will have strengths in maintaining and managing databases, producing reports and information. You will need to ensure a high quality environment and troubleshoot the self-service kiosks and RFID equipment. Educated to level 4 or above, you may bring with you skills in another discipline that will complement the nature of the service.
You will be expected to develop a level of expertise that will enable you to advise colleagues on electronic resource issues and play an important part in the growth and development of the Library’s collections. This role will report directly to the Library Manager.
Why Work With Us?
Imagine working for an employer that has a positive impact on the lives of thousands of students every year. That could be you.
We offer careers in teaching, educational support and pastoral care and brilliant opportunities within our professional Corporate and Commercial Services departments. The opportunities here are almost endless and can be full time, term time only, part time.
We are one of the largest higher and further education colleges in the country with just under 15,000 students and around 1,300 staff. That’s a lot of people and people are our key to success.
WCG has a comprehensive staff training program, offering leadership training for those wanting to progress and an employee health and wellbeing programme to support our staff when they need it most.
Place of Work: Royal Leamington Spa College
Our Royal Leamington Spa campus delivers various specialisms from Hair & Beauty to Games Art & Design. As well as these courses we also have an onsite Bistro where some of our students complete their catering courses. We offer a broad range of career opportunities including teaching and support roles.
• Level 4 or above qualification in a relevant field
• Significant experience of managing, supporting and troubleshooting library systems
• Strengths in maintaining and managing databases, metadata searching, producing statistics, reports and information
• Advanced IT skills
• Experience of working in an educational library environment
• Proven track record of customer service in diverse environment
• Delivery of training to individuals and groups
• Knowledge of VLE
• Experience of facilitating student learning and research.
• Evidence of use of own initiative and working as a team.
• Evidence of ability to manage groups of students and ability to deal with challenging situations.
• Evidence of CPD
• Knowledge of library data standards such as MARC21, RDA
• Library qualification
• Knowledge of marketing library services Knowledge of web authoring / design
• Knowledge of acquisitions, purchase ledger and EDI processes• Emergency First Aider qualification.
• Experience of line management
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to be diplomatic and patient.
• Willingness to try new things and to embrace change.
• Enthusiasm for technology Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of Equality and Diversity.
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
• Ability to demonstrate behaviours which support the Core Values of the College.
For a full job description including duties and responsibilities of the role, please see the job description attached below.
Warwickshire College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.