Queen Mary’s College is seeking to appoint a Catering Assistant who is conscientious and a keen team player to work in a dynamic environment. QMC is set on a beautiful multi-use site in the heart of Basingstoke, covering approximately 23 acres. Its educational facilities cater for approximately 2,000 16-18 year olds. The site ranges from state-of-the art teaching facilities built in the last few years to refurbished buildings that were original to the Shrubbery School which was first established in the 1950s. The College operates a commercial theatre, Central Studio, Sports Centre and in-house catering.
The ideal candidate for this role will be someone who is enthusiastic about delivering great customer service. Working in this environment requires ‘thinking on your feet’, good organisational skills, good communication, a positive ‘can-do’ attitude, a good and appropriate sense of humour and the ability to work flexibly. The suitable applicant is a person who can work as part of a team and can work under pressure.
Purpose of Job:
• To provide catering support in the preparation, cooking and serving of food and beverages and any other related catering duties.
Accountable to: Catering Manager
- To prepare the food outlet areas for service, which may include moving and/or setting up furniture, trolleys, cleaning, putting away after service.
- To prepare hot plates and other equipment as instructed.
- To assist in the preparation, cooking and serving of food and beverages as instructed.
- To load dishwasher and wash by hand where appropriate - dishes, cutlery, tumblers, jugs, serving utensils, containers, tables and all other catering equipment expected in the catering environment.
- To clean catering areas to regulated standards as directed.
- To check and fill vending machines as instructed.
- To undertake on and off the job training as required by management, including food hygiene, health & safety and our in-house Smartlog computer-based training.
- Inform the Catering Manager of any defects in equipment or premises.
- Undertake any other duties that may be required for the effective operation of the catering function.
The above sets out the area of work in which duties will generally be focused, and gives an
example of the type of duties that the post holder could be asked to carry out.
That this is for guidance only. Post holders are expected to be flexible and to operate in different
areas of work/carry out different duties as required.
• Good organisational and time management skills
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• The ability to work under pressure, to be flexible, thorough and accurate
• The ability to work as a member of a team
• The willingness and ability to learn new systems
• Calm under pressure
This role attracts a number of benefits such as, use of the Sports Centre facilities including the swimming pool, free parking on site, discounted Central Studio tickets, complimentary beverages for all staff, related training and development, counselling service, and, subject to service length, a generous annual leave, sickness and maternity package.
Salary: £9.64 per hour, (support staff scale 3), plus holiday pay; 12.07 % (Subject to Harper Trust)
4 hours per day Monday to Friday 10.30-2.30pm.
Conditions of Service Sixth Form College Support Staff
You will be working on a casual call-in basis. There will be no obligation upon the College to offer you work, and no obligation on your part to accept work that is offered.
The successful candidate will have the choice whether or not to join the Local Government Pension Scheme. The College contributes a monthly sum equivalent to 19.1% of your salary, whilst staff at this salary level contribute approx. 5.5%.
DBS All College workers are required to undergo DBS checking at Enhanced level because the College must comply with legislation in the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act.
We follow Keeping Children Safe in Education Guidance.
The College operates a no smoking policy.
Queen Mary's College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.