1:1 SEN Learning Support Assistant
Merstham Primary School is looking to appoint a SEN Learning Assistant who will play a key role in providing individual support for a child with special educational needs. As an academy within GLF Schools, we benefit from sharing outstanding resources, and support in every aspect of school life from learning and teaching to staffing and educational expertise.
If successful in this role, you will play a key role in supporting a child with additional educational needs, and language and communication needs. You will support the Class Teacher in the teaching and well-being of the child, ensuring they fulfil their potential in accordance with the targets that are set. You will also support the wider school, led by the Headteacher, promoting the well-being of staff and children in the school.
We believe in inclusive lifelong learning and would be very interested to hear from you if you have EYFS experience and specifically children with special educational needs. This opportunity has the flexibility, for the right candidate and offers hugely rewarding work as well as career progression. We are looking for someone to work 32.5 hours per week, to be agreed with the successful candidate.
About Merstham Primary School
At Merstham Primary School, we want children to be confident lifelong learners. We set high expectations academically and socially and provide a nurturing environment to develop a caring attitude.
Therefore, we want our school to be a place where:
- everyone feels safe, cared for and included;
- all children are given the skills and opportunities to be independent and collaborative learners in a happy, structured, stimulating environment;
- expectations are high, both collectively and individually;
- all children are equipped with the knowledge and skills to choose a healthy, active lifestyle;
- teachers provide school days that excite, challenge and motivate each child;
- our 6 rules are simple, fair, understood and consistent;
- everyone is valued and respected regardless of gender, race, age, religion or ability;
- goals and targets are clearly defined and explained and achievements are celebrated;
- we prepare all our children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life and equip them to achieve the highest standards possible in everything they do.
What we are looking for
- Be able to develop an understanding of the educational, welfare and social needs of the child with whom you are supporting.
- Be able to stay calm and objective when presented with unusual or challenging behaviour.
- Be enthusiastic and committed to working as part of a team.
- Be a confident and clear communicator with parents.
- Assist in preparing the classroom, receiving children and clearing away
- Assist in planning activities and preparing materials to help the child access the curriculum
- Support the child in class, group and individual activities, indoors and outdoors.
- Assist in monitoring the child's progress, assessing achievement and recording results and observations, sharing outcomes with the class teacher
Why work at Merstham Primary School
- An exciting opportunity to develop a curriculum to meet the needs of local community
- A chance to work in a diverse, inclusive, vibrant and fast growing community with excellent transport links
- A supportive senior management team and wider staff body within GLF Schools
- Recognition of previous school continuous service.
- Excellent CPD opportunities
Join the GLF Schools Community
As a part of GLF Schools, you will join a community of staff dedicated to transforming education. With regular progression discussions, there will be a wealth of opportunities for you to grow your career, whether in one of our 42 academies or in our central team.
- Celebrating 10 years as a growing Multi Academy Trust with over 2,000 colleagues and over 16,000 pupils
- Founded upon the values of Respect, Inclusivity, Integrity and Kindness
- 42 primary and secondary schools across 7 Local Authority areas across the south of England
- We work as a community whilst ensuring each school maintains its own unique identity
GLF Schools Employment Offer
GLF Schools has a generous employment offer, which allows all our colleagues to Grow, Learn and Flourish
- Access to our highly competitive Local Government Pension Scheme
- Flexible working options
- Generous holiday allowance
- Work life and family friendly policies
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- ● Career pathways and talent management
- ● Access to a staff benefits portal
- ● Community and collaboration working model
Please read the attached Join Our Community candidate pack for further information.
Salary range: £19,300 - £22,400 FTE
Pro Rata range: £14,989.43 - £17,397.05
Hours of work: Up to 32.5hours per week. Monday – Friday 39 weeks per year (term time, inclusive of INSET days.)
Closing date for applications – 22nd May 2023
Interviews to be held - w/c 29th May 2023
We may interview ahead of this date for the right application.
GLF Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Employment is subject to a satisfactory enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
As a Trust, we are happy to discuss flexible working opportunities. GLF Schools recognises and celebrates the diversity of its schools and their communities. There is a shared commitment across the Trust to develop further a culture of respect, where discrimination is not tolerated, and individuals are treated equitably and fairly and feel a sense of belonging. We strive for an inclusive environment where staff, children and students are comfortable to express their own identity, should they wish, in which diversity and inclusion is of mutual benefit for everyone in our schools. We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented groups including those based on ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.
We reserve the right to withdraw this vacancy at any time ahead of the closing date if there is a good level of response. Therefore, we recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
We also reserve to right to interview shortlisted candidates ahead of the closing date.
Please be advised that references may be requested on receipt of your application. Please state if you wish this to be delayed until shortlisting/interviews have taken place