Note: Applicants will be considered as applications are received. Should a suitable candidate be identified, we may close the vacancy early.
Brunel Academies Trust are a proud, growing educational community with a vision to be an exceptional creative education family opening doors, opening minds and changing lives. We strive to significantly improve the life chances and outcomes for our children and young people (CYP) whether they are within our SEND provisions or mainstream schools.
As a developing Multi Academy Trust, now is an exciting time to join BASIS; an education service provision for primary and secondary aged students affected by SEND/autism and are faced with social communication and interaction difference (SCID) within Brunel Academies Trust. We are looking to appoint two dedicated Specialist Learning Mentors who are passionate about supporting, nurturing and developing children through their education journey who have SEND/autism or SCID.
Having an exceptional ability to build rapport on a one to one basis with a male, year 7 student with high educational and emotional needs and challenging behaviours, will be a key attribute within this rewarding and on occasion, physically demanding opportunity. The successful Specialist Learning Mentors for this bespoke position will have a positive, nurturing and enthusiastic approach to their career passion.
We at BASIS will strive to meet the end goal of our Trust: To collaborate and build a successful community of mainstream schools and SEND provisions to ensure each and every one of our students have the education they deserve.
The attached job description will detail your role in full. But at a glance, some of the key fields you will be responsible for include (but are not limited to):
- Support students to achieve their aims and aspirations in the wider learning experiences
- Assist in the assessment of students, to ensure that an accurate baseline of developmental needs is identified
- Establish a good relationship with students by using language and other communication skills that students can understand and relate to
- Encourage and enable students to make informed choices in their lives and assist them in working through the consequences and taking responsibility for their behaviour
- Support the well-being of students in their emotional and social, personal development
- Meet the needs of students by contributing to, and then following pastoral support plans and risk assessments
Our person specification attached will contain the full areas of skills and experience, but it is really important to us that you feel comfortable and confident in your role, so although you may not have everything desirable, there are some essential features our appointee will need to have and these include:
- Good basic education in English and maths
- Effective communicator
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Working with young people with a range of challenging behaviours
- Experience dealing with physical challenges and able to overcome professionally
- Experience of supporting the emotional regulation and social interaction of students
- Experience of supporting students with ASD/SCID
Training: It is important to us to ensure you feel valued and supported in this exciting, rewarding and important role that you undertake therefore, relative training will be provided to the appointed applicant upon starting.
Brunel Education is a rapidly developing Multi Academy Trust. We value our colleagues and the effort they put into our children and young people day in and out. Whether through continuous professional development (CPD) to feed your ambitions, personal and impartial support through challenging days or exciting and easy to use discounts to enjoy with friends and family, we have a package of excellent benefits which are available to all staff including:
- Support on continuous professional development (CPD) opportunities
- Brunel Perks – exclusive discounts on a range of products and retailers from cinema tickets, food shopping and holidays
- Discounts with Swindon Designer Outlet Village
- Carefirst – impartial counselling service in person, by video call or phone as well as a citizen’s advice function for advice and support on personal or professional queries
- Excellent pension scheme
- Free on-site parking
Annual pay progression opportunities Most importantly, we can promise that you will achieve a high level of job satisfaction through the professional family community our colleagues represent; and the positive impact your role will have on supporting and developing our children and young people’s futures. Your role matters.
Location: BASIS, Headlands Industrial Estate, Swindon
Hours: 30 pw, Fixed Term Contract till 31.08.2023
To learn more about our Trust and our mission, please do visit our website at www. brunel.org.uk or for more information on this exciting opportunity please write to resourcing@ brunel.org.uk
Brunel Academies Trust is committed to Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people (CYP) and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Appointment is subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check, references and medical clearance. All references will be obtained prior to interview in line with Safer Recruitment and KCSIE.
Brunel Academies Trust is dedicated to the vision of having a diverse workforce and is committed to building a team that reflects diversity from the communities it serves. We value the contributions of all colleagues from a wide range of backgrounds and actively seek to promote an environment which is free from discrimination and harassment; which at the same time supports fair promotion and cultural acceptance.
Under the provision of the Equality Act 2010, Brunel Academies Trust welcomes applications from everyone and operates a recruitment process that is fair and does not discriminate against or disadvantage anyone because of their age, pronouns preference, disability, gender reassignment status, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy, paternity or maternity, race or nationality, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.